I'm not forgetting anything. I'm trying not to obsess over anything. But it really bothers me how much I can almost remember.
I almost remember the way she smells. I can just about feel the weight of her in my arms. I come so close to remembering how soft her hair is when I kiss it. I can almost remember the feel of her raspberries on my stomach and arms. But it's not like it was, it's not really fully there, and I know that it will fade even more. I know I won't ever forget, but the memory won't ever be fully satisfying.
I'm glad I can't remember the way she looked when I found her. I thought that would be with me for the rest of my life, but I can't really remember. It's all a haze. And believe me, I've tried. I can't remember how she felt in the hospital, I can only barely remember wanting them to take the intubation out while I held her. I can't remember the stale smell of the funeral home.
But I remember all too clearly the weight of the coffin in our hands. I remember how cold she was at the home. All I want is to keep on remembering my girl, but all I can remember all the way is the most recent stuff. The stuff I'd rather just forget. And every night I go to sleep and I forget. Unless I dream about it. And then I wake up. And every time I wake up I remember that she's gone. Spiritually I'm perfectly fine with her being in Heaven because I know that I will be with Ariana again, but physically I'm sick with wanting her.
Tonight, I put on my robe for the first time since the day Ariana died. It smells like spit up. I never thought I'd be so grateful for such a gross smell. But it was kind of like a hug.
I'm not forgetting, little one. I'd just like a little nudge like this here and there so that I can block out remembering the other things.
No comments:
Post a Comment