Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Complainy post about etiquette

I was under the impression that unless it has been quite some time since your last child, you don't really expect a baby shower for your second, third, fourth etc. children, unless someone really wants to throw you one.

I was also under the impression that you really don't throw yourself a baby/bridal/wedding shower.


Recently I was invited to a baby shower for a friend with whom we haven't really kept in touch. She and her husband are having their second child soon, and she is throwing herself a shower and asking for people to bring diapers along with a gift. (Their child is almost 2, I believe). Which is a third point in my hypocritical etiquette schtick: are not showers supposed to be for close friends and family? Not people you haven't spoken to in over two years aside from the occasional Facebook post?


Now, all of the above being a little bit tacky aside, I'm kind of surprised that I was invited. I think it's nice that I was invited, and I don't think it's a case of getting it rubbed in that all these people have babies, but most of the invitees have young babies/children, and I really don't need to go around fertile people who have living children. It's not that I want people to ignore me (and yes I want to be treated the way I was before!), it's just that it's a little soon to be going to baby showers. Family gatherings are hard enough.

I realize this is a contradiction from my last post so feel free to kick me in the throat next time you see me. I do want to be treated normally. I just am not going to willingly surround myself by babies right now when I can't hold my own, especially when it is for someone who I barely know anymore and is just phishing for gifts and free stuff. So there, pbbbbt.




In other news, we went to Crane's yesterday, and despite my urging Ryan to buy two dozen cider donuts, he only bought one, and I am having to show extreme restraint so that there are some left for him when he gets home. Tanner and I are just fools for cider donuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment